One of my major goals this year is stick more to a food budget. With two athletes in the house (and you know, that long distance runner when training lives by the “eat ALL the food” mindset) it can be difficult. The last several months we’ve let that slide a little… a lot.
With some financial goals this year and further education happening, now more than ever it’s really important for us to stick to a budget. That generally means meal planning/prepping, healthy budget meals, and making sure not to let food go to waste. My time was limited this week for meal planning and grocery shopping ended up being grabbing random vegetables/ingredients. So this morning I decided to check the cupboards and figure out a plan for the rest of the week.
When you actually pull things out of the fridge and cupboards and pair them together, it’s crazy how quickly healthy meals can form!
Here’s the plan for the rest of the week.
- Pumpkin ravioli with sautéed spinach and homemade tomato sauce (I always say I’m going to freeze half, but we end up eating all the leftovers pretty quickly – so good!)
- Veggie stir-fry with brown rice and likely some tofu “chicken”
- Butternut squash soup with whole wheat cheddar biscuits and a spinach, pear, walnut salad. (I will likely freeze half the soup for quick meals on busy days)
- Tomato soup and grilled cheese
- Tuna avocado salad
- Protein smoothie
- Fruit (Apples, blueberries, pears) with peanut butter
- Healthy banana muffins
This weekend, I’ll be back to meal planning, prepping, and all that fun stuff. We’re debating a CSA and also how much per week seems like a reasonable food goal for us. Stay tuned on that front!